November 21, 2012
It has been a few years since I have shot the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis. So last night a good friend of mine and I drove down to the Twin Cities to update our Stone Arch Bridge portfolio. There were just enough clouds in the sky to make the sunset interesting.  As the evening sky grew darker the Mississippi river reflected the city lights.

November 10, 2012
I went up to the North Shore for the annual beacon lighting at the Split Rock Lighthouse. It rained all day with strong winds out of the east northeast.  During the day a group of photographers went out to Crystal Cove and photographed the crashing waves. These aren’t the biggest waves I have seen, but it is always fun to watch the big lake when its stirred up. Hopefully this storm is a precursor of what is to come this winter. Towards evening I got set up along the shoreline at Split Rock. It was still raining with strong headwinds. It proved challenging to capture the Lighthouse with my lens getting constantly wet every time I tried to take an image. I didn’t get a lot of great images, but I still tried to get just one picture to take home.

November 2, 2012
A good friend of mine and I went down to the Twin Cities to do some night time photography. Our first stop was Leo’s Chow Mein. When my wife and I lived in St. Paul we used to eat here every week. Leo’s Chow Mein is the best Chinese food in the entire state of Minnesota. I will drive 120 miles just for take-out. I like to order many yummy entrees, eat as much as I can, and then take the rest home with me. After dinner, my friend and I drove to Minneapolis and photographed the Hennepin Avenue Bridge. The Mississippi River was exceptionally calm and created some great reflections in the water.TNext we went over to St. Paul and shot Mickey’s Diner and then St. Paul’s Cathedral. I hope to start adding more Twin Cities images to my website
Leo's Chow Mein feast for one...me

September 21, 2012
This fall I took two weeks off to photograph the fall colors. I drove over 2,000 miles and travelled to countless state parks. I began my journey up near the boundary waters. I spent three days up there just driving the back roads looking for fall color. I worked my way back down the shoreline of Lake Superior. One morning I was treated to high winds off the Lake and the Grand Marais lighthouse getting pummeled by big waves. Every day was sunny and 75 degrees and each morning was cool enough to get steam off many of the inland lakes. I stopped by Banning State Park and shot the Kettle River and Wolf Creek. Then I drove over to Itasca State Park and spent some time shooting the fall colors there. The trees lost a lot of leaves after high winds and wet snow. So I focused my attention on southwest Minnesota, particularly the Red Wing area. Overall, it was one of my best years for pictures. The fall colors were not as vibrant as past years because of the severe drought this summer. I am sad to see fall come and go so quickly, but now I eagerly wait for winter.
Kettle River, Banning State Park Wolf Creek, Banning State Park Wolf Creek Falls, Banning State Park
Wilderness Drive, Itasca State Park Headwaters, Itasca State Park Itasca State Park Maples and Snow, Itasca State Park Red Wing, Minnesota Round Barn and '47 Ford Pickup Truck

August 4, 2012
Every couple of years I like try to hike a very long distance in a single day. I call these long hikes my “mega-hikes.” Someone asked why I would want to do this, and my only response was, “because I can.” In the summer of 2011 I made two attempts at hiking 50 miles in a single day. During my first attempt I blew out my knee at mile 20 and had to stop at mile 25. My second attempt I battled extreme heat and got heat exhaustion and had to withdraw at mile 38. In 2012 I wanted to make a third attempt at hiking 50 miles. I asked a good friend of mine, who also ran Grandma’s Marathon, to join me on my mega-hike and he said yes. Our goal was to hike from the Temperance River to Tettegouche State Park. We hit the trail around midnight with much optimism. About an hour into our hike and a major thunderstorm blew in. It was raining so hard we couldn’t see the trail in front of us and we nearly got hit by lightning. After the storm had passed our shoes were completely soaked. It didn’t take long before my feet started to blister and drastically slow down our pace. At mile 25 our wives met up with us and we took a much needed break. After donning dry socks and shoes we were back on the trail. My feet were in bad shape, but we pressed on. At mile 38 we met our wives again and re-supplied. Both of our feet were shot, but we decided to continue. The next portion of trail would prove the most challenging. After a slow climb up and down Section 13 we decided to stop our hike at mile 43. I was a little disappointed we couldn’t finish the full 50 miles, but I have learned to listen to my body and my body as screaming at me to stop. I hope someday I will be able finish my 50 mile marker. A big thanks to my friend Eric for joining me on this crazy adventure and for taking the pictures.

1:00 AM somewhere near the Cross River Eric and John at mile 25 one of the hundreds of trailmakers pit stop at mile 25 yes, that is the trail! taking a break at mile 38 beaver pond crossing at mile 41

June 20, 2012
A couple of years ago I was up on the North Shore when it received 8” of rain in 48 hours.  I have always wanted to see the rivers at that level again.  On Tuesday night , June 19, I was watching the weather forecast very closely. The next morning I saw that Duluth had picked up 10 inches of rain and I decided to head up to the North Shore. I heard that interstate 35 and highway 61 were closed.  Going through Duluth, or even around it, would prove impossible. So I decided to head towards Grand Rapids and work my way over to Virginia/Hibbing then down to Silver Bay. Many of the roads were flooded and I was detoured countless times. After five hours of driving I finally arrived at Gooseberry State Park. I could hear the roar from the river from inside my truck. I grabbed my camera gear, an umbrella, and headed for the river. I knew I was going to be in for a special treat. I arrived at Middle Falls and river water seemed to be going in every direction.  It was impressive to see Gooseberry filled above capacity. Next I drove up to Beaver River and shot a few images of theoverflowing  river. Then I was off to the Temperance River, where the river gorge was filled to the rim. My last stop was at Last Falls Creek. Some of the roads were re-opened so I tried to go through Duluth on my way home. This was my first time seeing Duluth after the flooding. Many of the roads were washed out. There were mud slides, vehicles destroyed, and debris everywhere. I managed to make it back home after more detours and road closures. The images captured from this trip barely capture the raw energy I was experiencing.  As I was going over the top of the hill in Duluth on my way home, I pulled over to take a picture of a double rainbow over St. Louis River Valley.

Flooded Stairs at Gooseberry River MIddle Falls, Gooseberry River Lower Falls section with flooded island at Gooseberry River Beaver River taken from under Highway 61 bridge lower gorge on the Temperance River flooded Last Falls Creek Double rainbow over Duluth/Superior

June 1-4, 2012
My wife and I celebrated our sixteenth wedding anniversary this weekend. We drove up to the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan for a couple of days. This was our first time visiting the south shore of Lake Superior. There are a lot of similarities and differences between the north and south shores.  One noticeable difference is the white sandy beaches along the south shore.  We were treated to beautiful sunrises and sunsets over the big lake, and we hiked and explored many rivers and waterfalls.  It was a fun trip, and I am sure we will be back again.

May 26-28, 2012
My wife and I went up to the North Shore for Memorial Day weekend. The weather forecast was calling for rain, but we decided go anyway.  The first morning we visited Split Rock Lighthouse and saw our only sunrise for the next three days. It hadn’t rained yet, so we went for a trail run from Temperance River up to Carlton Peak and back down. Nothing goes better with a trail run than Sven and Ole’s pizza, so we drove up to Grand Marais for supper. We sent up camp on Kimball Creek and then it started to rain. All of the rivers were full from 3-4 inches of rain from a previous storm. It rained hard all night and the next morning I photographed some waterfalls. The rain started to let up, so we decided to do some kayaking on Nine Mile Creek. Next we stopped at Sugar Loaf Cove and I photographed some of unique rocks along the shoreline. We camped on the Caribou River, and again it rained during the night. The next morning I was hoping for a sunrise, but got only clouds, drizzle, and fog. With a lot of our gear muddy and wet, we decided to pack it in and head home.

NEW PHOTOS  |  Portraits  | Sunrises & Sunsets | Rivers  | Superior Landscapes  | Split Rock Lighthouse
Floral  | Rural | Fall  | Winter  | About Us  |  Ordering |  Art Shows

EMAIL:  superiorphotographs@hotmail.com

PHONE: 320.255.1871

© All Images property of John Caughlan